View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 07:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
On Oct. 26/Sun., 2003, I sent an email to Mary Strukchoff with the infomation that I had posted on the Officiating.com Basketball Forum on Oct. 20/Mon., 2003. At half time of the Monday Night Football, I had yet to receive a response from Mary, nor had the "Clarification" been posted on the NFHS Basketball Rules webpage. On the morning of Oct. 28/Tue., I received an email from Mary regarding my email to her. Mary's email included an attachment of the "Clarification" as well as letting me know that the Clairification had been posted on the NFHS Basketball webpage.

I have not yet replied to Mary's email, but I am in the process of preparing a letter to a number of present and former members of the NFHS Rules Committee with whom I am friends regarding the NFHS Clarification.

My wife and I have owned two horses during our marriage and I can assure everyone that what comes out of the south end of a northbound horse has infinitely more redeeming social value than the "Clarification."
I don't understand why there's such emotion over this clarification. I still think the NFHS ruined basketball when they went back to the "release off the rim" on the free throw, but I had less emotion about it than I've seen here. There's no point in coming out and being so, so, emphatic on a play that may not happen in an entire season.

Also, the rules belong to the NFHS. If they wish to change/alter/clarify those rules on the web or through the states they have every right to do so and I'll use and teach those rules with the best smile I can muster. If a coach asks me this season, I'll tell him the ruling and direct him to the web site or the state office. I won't have to do that, though, because this clarification was covered very thoroughly at our state rules meeting, which is required for officials AND coaches. If the ones that didn't show up don't get word, it's not my problem.

Rich