View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

long post....sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
This was a varsity high school state playoff game. I was and am of the position that it warranted a flag. But I'm listening to any and all attempts to change my mind

Rich
I agree wiht your call, and explanation. But as the WH,(former wing) I remind our officials to talk players out of 5 penalities. This is one that i would have said to talk them out of. I know it is varsity, but the first time, you tell the player & coach about it. This lets coach & player know. As stated, he did NOT gian an advantage on the play. Even varsity games, give players where there is NO advantage gained an oppurtunity to learn the game. As I continue to officiate, I am finding that varsity players do not know the "simple fundementals" of the game, not the rules. USe this as a teaching experience. I have had so many more coaches thank me for using this strategy than have jumped me.

If I have a coach who gets on me about this call (opposing coach), I will simply ask them these 2 questions: Is there a bhuge advantage gained? 2) Would you want me to call this petty call on one of your players? Mostof the time the answer is no, thanks. Did have one who ranted and raved about got it back the very next series. I "missed"/did not call a line up in the NZ by the CB's crown of the helmet (he was next to the DE). I told player and sent word to coach via other wing. Did not happen again whole game. Coach was very thankful. Coach on my sideline began. I asked 2 questions, he said hell yea! Next series, his Cb walked up to the line, and stuck his helmet in the NZ> I am saying back off, his coach is yelling back off. He does not. He had no advantage by doing this. So due to our conversation I flagged it. Coachnow pissed at his player, not me. About 2 plays later, he came up to me and said" I change my answer. Talk to the players first please, ,with a smile".
Long drawn out post to say talking/preventing officiation can make the world of difference.
Thanks for the chance to give my piece.