View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 11, 2001, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Have you seen a doctor?

Are you sure it's not torn?

Describe how it happened?

I understand how difficult it is to get a good college schedule. An official in our association recently went down and is chomping at the bit to get back. Don't jeopardize the rest of your career, and more importantly, your life, by officiating on this injury when you shouldn't!
Mike,

I asked these questions because I'm concerned that it may be torn. That's why you need to see a doctor if you haven't.

I've known three people who tore their achilles. All three described it like being shot in the calf muscle. I was playing basketball with a friend who went down hard in the open floor. He started yelling, "Who hit me?! Who hit me?! He thought someone had thrown the basketball and nailed him in the back of the leg.

One of the three didn't know that her's was torn. The doctor even misdiagnosed it. A year later she had surgery to repair it and is now crippled for life. She has to wear a leg brace to walk.

Also, if it is just strained, you don't want to risk tearing it. It's like a rubber band snapping.

Let us hear from you!

Tony