View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Indy,by no means are these all the problems that I've seen over the years- but I'm out of breath. I've just seen so many promising,as well as veteran, officials quit because of the abuse, that I am kind of a fanatic now about not cutting anybody any slack.
Great post, JR. I agree 100% on how your first instance was handled...and I could be "talked into" accepting the second. More so, because the fan made it to the locker room, yelled assaults, had to be restrained and ushered out by security. The fact that the fan made it to the locker room proves a breakdown in security.

For me, I guess, it's a fine line. In tnroundball's instance, I believe the biggest problem was game management. Word of advice: Any official just calling a heated/controversial game should have enough sense to hang out and not leave too quickly...while fans/spectators/players/coaches are hanging around. Also, any game management personnel worth their money ought to recognize when officials need a little extra protection and take the initiative to ensure their saftey.

Despite what happened to tnroundball, I still can't see filing charges against anybody in his particular case. I would say report the incident and let the assigner & game management take care of it. Had tnroundball gotten hurt or seriously threatened, then take care of it as in JR's case #2. I can certainly agree with that.