View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

My local association gave a practice test (NFHS). I disagreed with some of the answers and am curious as to the opinions of the board.
==================================================
1-Q. (T/F) Following a touchdown, the clock shall start next on the kick-off.
A. I say True but they said False
(Perhaps bad wording as I consider the free-kick play as a whole the "kick-off"...the clock starts during the play but not at the kick but when B first touches the ball, if at all.)
2-Q. (T/F) A false start can only be committed by the offense.
(7-1-7 "by A", but no mention of "B")
Side-question: can K commit a false start (on a kick-off)? (apparently not per the rule)
3-Q. (T/F) No foul can occur that takes a down away.
(Perhaps bad wording...no foul takes a down away but it can be the loss of down, but that is the right to REPLAY a down.)
4-Q. (T/F) Holding is always a 10 yard penalty enforcement regardless of where the foul occurred.
(Unless the spot of holding was inside team A's 20 then half the distance to the goal line...or in the B's end zone by A safety. Holding is a "10 yard penalty", but perhaps the enforcement eludes to the fact that inside the 20 less than 10 yards will be marked off or safety. 9-2-1c, 9-2-3d)
5-Q. (MC) On an extra point attempt, the umpire notices that all players on the line have interlocked legs. Which of the following occurs:
a. Live ball foul and five yard penalty.
b. Dead ball foul and five yard penalty.
c. Live ball foul and fifteen yard penalty.
d. none of the above.
A. I say D they said B.
("On an extra point attempt," implies live ball to me...and it's a 10 yard penalty. 9-2-16)