Thread: Double Base
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Yes, a fielder who obviously steps into foul territory off the bag just so she can then place her foot on the orange part on the theory that the play is now coming from the foul side would be courting trouble. Of course, it would be pretty tough to think that fast, and probably easier just to stay on the white. And yes, you would get an argument.

But in the end, if the fielder has to leave the base and go into foul territory to catch the throw, can that fielder then touch the orange? Or does the throw actually have to get by to be considered errant?

And what about F3 jumping up and backward to snag a wild throw and coming down on the orange? Since the ball didn't get by, I guess that's not an out.

On the following play, I've called an out: ground ball (fair) to F3 bounces off her leg into foul territory. F3 then picks up the ball and, from foul ground, touches the orange. I hope I've been calling that one correctly.
I believe the big dollars come into play there and we would have to use our judgment.

Personally, if we force the fielder to return to the white portion, we could be putting both players on a collision course.

I would like to think that if the throw truly pulled the fielder away from the play, then yes, I would allow them to return to the colored portion to attempt to put out the BR. If the fielder was reaching/stretching for the throw and just lost contact with either side, but was still within the vicinity of the base, they will not benefit from the existence of the double base for the purpose of putting out the runner.