Thread: Double Base
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Grey's example and explanation is correct.

Unfortunately, now I'm confused. In my example, the throw didn't get past the fielder. So was touching the orange base legal because the throw was still "errant," that is, the fielder had to leave the base to prevent it from getting by?

Another item of interest regarding the safety base:

In researching ASA-NSA differences, I came across this from NSA:

"1st base double base. At facilities that use the safety bag at first base, the following rules will be implemented. If the first play is at first base, either from the infield or outfield, a runner will be called out for touching the inside base. If the play is elsewhere, the inside base may be tagged in a continuation toward second (2nd) base. The runner running toward first (1st) base may cross over to the inside bag to avoid a collision if a wild throw occurs. The inside bag will be used by the batter/runner/runner if attempting to get back to first (1st) base."

Wow. Out for touching the inside base. And only the first play counts, apparently not the tail end of a DP.

I can think of several plays I'd hate to have to interpret.

Good thing that after they mentioned 1st base and then first base, they used parentheses to remind the reader in the rest of the paragraph that first means the same thing as 1st.