Thread: Double Base
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
This particular issue came up in the spring, and as I remember, the consensus was that on a throw that drew the fielder into foul territory, the fielder could not use the orange base as an extension. However, once the fielder got the ball in foul ground (and was not on the base), she could then use the orange.

Example: BR hits ground ball to F6, whose throw to 1B pulls F3 off the bag into foul territory. F6 can now use the orange base. I think this interpretation was based on the premise that the play was now coming from the foul side. A fast-thinking fielder would know to catch the ball off the base (in foul territory) and then touch the orange. Not a play we expect to see often.

However, I'm not sure anyone was certain that this interpretation was correct. Perhaps ASA will provide clarification.
Actually, this came up in the spring of 2002 because I saw Henry Pollard in June of that year and specifically asked him to define an "errant throw" in direct relation to this portion of the rule. My point was if you allowed the fielder to stretch for a wide throw and use the colored portion of the bag, it defeated the purpose of the rule.

Henry explained that an "errant throw" was a throw which the defender could not reach or catch. IOW, if the fielder does not allow the thrown to get by him/her, it is not an errant throw and the fielder must use the white portion of the base unless the throw came from the foul side of the 1st base line.

Grey's example and explanation is correct.