View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Not exactly Dan. Unfortunately, in these games the clock keeps moving regardless of what pace you work. If you waste precious seconds to work at "your pace," you do the players a dis-service. The switch alone could be 5 seconds per non-shooting foul wasted, which might be 2 minutes of playing time in a game. I find that to be relevant.
In practice, refs usually do cut corners (including me) during running clock games.

However, the refs do have a well defined job. There is a clearly defined playing time. If more playing time is the goal, the game should be made longer...not have the refs cut corners.

I work at my pace...which is not slack. If a coach is bugging me near the end of a period in a running clock game about speeding up, I'll take a moment to go over to him to make sure I hear his request clearly.

I once had such a game where there was a foul with 10 or so seconds left in the 1st half. My partner was quickly reporting the foul while the was screaming to get the ball in play. No way I'm putting the ball in play before I know what his call was and if we have the bonus or not. Time ran out before we got it in play. The coach was not pleased. Too bad...that's the way running clock works.