View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Hawks Coach, I completely agree...but what would you say to this:

In Indiana, where the foxes rule the henhouse (and the coaches are the ONLY means to get into, and advance, in the post season tournaments, if you tell him "Sorry, coach. No go.", you're likely to receive backlash in your tournament vote. One "poor" vote or one "no" vote (as in, this official does not belong in the tournament) is BRUTAL to an official's ranking. It could drop you out of the next level.

Question to the coaches: How many of you would actually ACCEPT an official's decision if he/she said, "Sorry, coach!" in the above situation??

To prove what a ridiculous system it is here, I know an official who has been around for quite some time. At his peak, he would commonly receive 100+ "state" votes (the highest vote possible in the previous rating system)...but his 8-10 "sectional" votes (the lowest an official who was already in the tournament could receive) would keep him out of the state finals every year! Consequently, officials who work the same 20 schools and receive zero "sectional" votes would work the state championship games.

Ah...I don't want to get myself started on this!! [/B]
First, I agree with PennCoach - I wouldn't asking - EVER! Those that would ask, probably won't like the "sorry" response. I have little respect for these individuals!

As for your quandary regarding future games, I can't say that I have been there and can answer with full knowledge. But I can't resist the obvious question - where do you draw this line? What is an acceptable request from a coach that you will follow his wishes so you aren't blacklisted? This may seem harmless, but it seems to me that you are going into places you don't want to be if you are granting favors for a quid pro quo.

I am sure you didn't mean it that way, but re-read your post and think about the implications. I personally wouldn't want to be in your shoes, and I know you're stuck with how things are in your area. But you have a job to do, and I know what I think about how it should be done.