View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The real challenge is assigning the old geezers and geezerettes that don't have the years of experience and wisdom to hand down. What the heck do you do with them!? [/B]
Heckuva question,Juulie.I honestly don't think that I can give you a one-size-fits-all answer.Maybe someone else might be able to help.Personally,I think that a lot depends on the individual:do they really want to improve and do the best they can,or do they just want to make a buck or get a little exercise?;will they listen during their training to officials that may be much younger than them,but are still good,experienced officials?;are they young enough that your association will be able to get some productive years out of them?;Is their level of fitness good enough that they won't embarrass your association when they're out on the court;does your area have a lack of officials-to the point that you just need bodies,no matter how raw(bad) they might be? All of these things have to be taken into consideration.

A lot depends on what your honest opinion,as an assigner,would be as to what is the best thing that you can do for your organization.Imo though,I think that you have to give the person a chance,no matter what,and then take it from there.Give 'em the games and see what they can do.If they can do the job,then there shouldn't be any reason in the world to not use them. If they can't do the job,you may still need them for lower-level games-but you you should tell them where they stand. [/B][/QUOTE]

Great answer, Jurassic. I was wondering about myself more as a geezerette and less as an assignor.