Thread: Evaluations
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref

Each varsity official rates his/her partner(s) and the rating forms are turned in to the commissioner. We use an A, B, or C rating with A being top notch, B being (that's awkard) good partner, but needs to work on such & such, and C being "don't ever want to work with them again".
Our association used to have this sort of system. It was changed just after I started. From all I've heard...What really happened is that buddies gave buddies the top scores and gave everyone else a lower score. It didn't really reflect ability or performance.

Now there is a committee of 8-10 people that are selected to do the evaluations. There still could be some favoritism but I think it is largely minimized by the evaluation chairman selecting good evaluators.
We also have the "good old boy" system to some extent. All ratings are turned in to the association VP (also heads up the rating committee) and he prepares a listing of the ratings according to what was reported. The official knows where s/he ranks on the list. The rating committee then breaks them down into basically the 3 categories. This list is used somewhat to determine playoff selections. Officials in the lower part of the ratings may be "invited to attend the summer session"...this is a varsity league that we use to look at officials to move from the non-varsity level to what we call the "swing list". These officials are "qualified" to do varsity level, but will work mostly frosh & JV games. Because of the number of schools we cover, a swing official (and even a varsity official) will work a freshman game (4:00 pm) at one school and then work a varsity game (7:30) at another school. I do this quite often because I can leave work as early as I need to. My boss and I have been together for years and he doesn't care as long as the report is finished on time.