View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 02, 2024, 09:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Substituting Player - Disqualifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I also recall an NFHS play ruling stating to hold any incoming substitutes while waiting for a DQ’d player to be replaced and then bring them all in.
I also recalled the same thing until I found an old thread with a post from Nevadaref that indicated otherwise, later (today) contradicting himself (I'm not the only one who can do neat trick).

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post555187

So I did a little more research in my old rulebooks and found this:

2003-04 NFHS Points of Emphasis

5) Substituting Player - Disqualifications

G) When a substitute approaches the scorer’s table from the offending team the administering official (and/or the official scorer) should ask the player if he/she is intending to replace the disqualified player.

H) If a substitute from the non-offending team or a substitute for the offending team for someone other than the disqualified player reports to the scorer during the wait for the required substitute, they may enter the game. (3-3-1-D)

I) A warning horn shall now be sounded at 20 seconds (now 15 seconds) if the required substitute has not reported to the scorer’s table. This is an indication to the head coach that a substitute should report immediately (2-12-5). This warning horn does not have the same substitution restrictions as a warning horn for a time-out (3-3-1a); other substitutes from either team may still report and enter the game until the ball is about to become live. (3-3-2)

2023-24 NFHS Rules

3-3-1-D: If entry is at any time other than between quarters, and a substitute who is entitled and ready to enter reports to the scorer, the scorer must use a sounding device or game horn, if, or as soon as, the ball is dead and the clock is stopped.

3-3-1-A: A substitute who desires to enter must report to the scorer, giving his/her number.
a. Between quarters, at halftime and during a time-out, the substitute must report or be in position to report to the scorer, prior to the warning signal which is sounded 15 seconds before the end of the intermission or the

3-3-2: The substitute must remain outside the boundary until an official beckons, whereupon he/she must enter immediately. If the ball is about to become live, the beckoning signal should be withheld. The entering substitute must not replace a designated jumper or a free thrower except as in 8-2 and 8-3. If the substitute enters to replace a player who must jump or attempt a free throw, he/she must withdraw until the next opportunity to substitute.

2-12-5: Sound a warning signal to announce 15 seconds (maximum) permitted for replacing a disqualified or injured player, or for a player directed to leave the game.

I guess that artificial intelligence isn't as intelligent as many make it out to be.

Or, has there been a NFHS change regarding this since 2003-04 (or 2008-09)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Oct 02, 2024 at 10:18am.