View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 02, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I didn't state my question well enough.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
In OBR, I believe there is a requirement that the pitcher must ensure the batter is appropriately ready to receive the pitch. Where is that rule?
OBR 8.05(e) and Comment, OBR 2.00 Illegal Pitch and OBR 2.00 Quick Return Pitch.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
In FED, I do not believe there is such a responsibility on the pitcher (seems reasonable that the pitcher should be responsible but I don't believe there is a specific rule.) In FED it tends, therefore, to be the responsibility of the Plate Umpire to ensure the batter is ready; hold up the no-pitch sign as appropriate or needed for the occasion and then point to the pitcher saying "play."

Am I correct on this difference and where is this rule in OBR?
Responsibility for NOT delivering a Quick Return Pitch would always lie with the pitcher. The playing rules are meant to be followed by the participants. The umpire is not a participant - he is the arbiter.

The only difference between FED and OBR on this subject is that FED treats any infraction of Rule 6 as an illegal pitch. That covers things that would be a "Don't do that" under OBR or NCAA. I don't have a FED rule book so I can't cite a rule number with any confidence, but I think it is rule 5-1-1k.

FED penalizes the Quick Return Pitch exactly the same as does OBR, except that the ball is immediately dead.

Hope this helps

Cheers