View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Awwww

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
If the PU had not had his hand in the air killing all play. Now it is a live ball - pick-off attempts may be made.

In this situation, the proper call would be balk for beginning his motion and then stopping. Correct?
Yes, if the umpire has NOT effectively declared time out - hand up to the pitcher - the ball is live and legal pick off attempts are available. Commencing his motion to pitch, at that time, and failing to deliver the pitch would be a breach of OBR 8.05(a). I don't know the correct FED rule citation but I believe that the ruling is the same.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
OBR 8.05f
If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when

(f) The pitcher delivers the ball to the batter while he is not facing the batter;

...[snip]...

That's not the right rule is it? What am I thinking? Somebody help me out.
Maybe you are thinking about OBR 6.02(b)Comment that says:
    If after the pitcher starts the wind-up or comes to a "set position" with a runner on, the pitcher does not go through with the pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start over from "scratch".
The relevant balk rule under OBR is 8.05(a).

My understanding is that FED treats the situation the same UNLESS the pitcher delivers the pitch anyway. Under FED rules I believe a strike would be called regardless of pitch position. Perhaps one of our members who actually knows FED rules could help you there.

Hope this helps

Cheers