View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Linejudging a game early last year (my rookie year), I hadn't yet learned how to get the coaches to settle down, and my coach was riding my on every play. This was a 7th grade "C"-team game, and around here 7th grade normally plays on Monday nights.

Finally, after about 3 quarters of this, referee (25 year vet) lobs the flag over to my side for UC on the coach, and comes over to talk to him. "Coach, that's enough. You'd think from all your yelling that you were coaching on Monday Night Football. Oh, ... wait ... I'm sorry - it IS Monday night - I take it back, you must know what you're talking about." It was all I could do not to laugh in front of him.

Not 5 plays later, I finally get up the nerve to flag and eject him (he made a comment that we were obviously biased - how much was the other coach paying - something I knew was WAY over the line), and referee comes over as he's helping walk the guy off the field and says, "Coach - there's a reason you're coaching the C team. Think about it."

Probably not the most professional thing he could have said - but funny as heck to me.

West Houston Mike