View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 19, 2023, 02:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
From this morning's aforementioned NCAA memo:

Celebrations – A.R. 311 addresses bench personnel (players) and/or team followers running onto the floor before time expires to celebrate a potential game winning shot and preventing the ball from being made live or preventing continuous play. In this situation, A.R. 311 and Rule 10-4.2.h supersede Rule 10.4.1.m. If a player(s) run onto the floor before time expires and delay the game as stated above, the team should be assessed with a Class B technical foul that is also charged to the head coach. If it’s just team followers running onto the floor and delaying play then it is an Administrative technical foul. Note, in situations when the delay does not interfere with play, it shall be ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
What if both happen? If the players AND the fans run on the court, do you assess a Class B for the players and an Administrative for the fans? That would explain the two free throws instead of just one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Well in the subject play, I saw no fans impeding.

But in your hypothetical, I’d say it would be a judgment as to who was doing the impeding at the point play was impeded. So if in your judgment the bench personnel came out first, followed by fans but after the bench personnel had already impeded, then it’s Class B and ignore the fans’ action.

Almost like a free throw violation where the defender in the lane space induces the offensive player next to them to violate. We hold the inducer accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. And based on other rulings since I became a college official, I believe the NCAA intends for like acts that happen at the same time to be penalized collectively. I also look at the word "just" in the bolded portion of the NCAA bullentin. It is used to differentiate whether it's a Class B charged to the coach or an Administrative charged to the team only.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 19, 2023 at 03:16pm.