Thread: Girls games
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 24, 2022, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Our group leaders recently noted that some experienced / veteran refs are preferring to work only boy's games instead of girl's games--even at the varsity and state playoffs levels. This poses a problem bcuz: 1) it reduces the pool of available refs who are officiating them, 2) it diminishes the mentoring capacity in that veteran refs can't be paired with novice refs if the vet doesn't do girl's, 3) it possibly decreases the quality of girl's games. However, the game fee of $90 is the same for both types of games. I haven't had the chance to ask them why they do not want to work their games, but I will work either type of contest. What, if any, would be a reasonable explanation for not doing girl's?
I never turned down a game based on sex. Girls games in general were less enjoyable due to the skill disparity between teams. Blowouts are quite common. In my very rural area, scheduling is tough and I am not aware of officials focusing on boys or girls. I could see the advantage of specializing if working college games. I know regional college officials typically work only boys or girls.

If it does become a problem here in the future, I would support my local school district in paying more for girl's games officials.