Thread: Girls games
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 12:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quality ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Girls teams deserve the same quality of official, period.
Agree in theory, in a "Pollyanna", rose-colored glasses world.

My local board used to have an incentive to work both genders throughout the season because our local board (the only local board in the state to do so) allowed us to work both genders in the state tournament if we were selected (votes) by the both gender coaches.

Now, if selected for both genders in the state tournament we have to "declare" which single gender we will work in the state tournament. This allows for a much larger "pool" of local officials getting state tournament games, which, in theory, is good news.

Note: This created a lot of discord at our local meetings, with many veteran officials complaining that they deserved to work both genders in the state tournament games if they were selected by the votes of both groups of coaches.

With the change, many of our local officials (especially female officials working only girls games) have opted, as is now allowed, to become "boys officials" or "girls officials" for the regular season, figuring that the more games they work for single gender teams the more "votes" they are likely to get from single gender coaches for selection for the single gender state tournament.

I travel all over my small state observing a dozen or so boys and girls state tournament games involving my local officials every year.

I can definitely tell you with great assurance that since we changed to "pick a single gender state tournament games" (and pick a single gender regular season games) the quality of officials in girls state tournament games has greatly suffered, all the way to the semifinals.

Has the change allowed some younger, less experienced officials to have a state tournament experience? Yes, and that may be a good thing.

But it's comes at the expense of girls getting lower quality officials for both regular season games and state tournament games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 23, 2022 at 02:16pm.