Thread: Girls games
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 12:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
When it comes it comes to working extra nights, turning back higher level games, it's an entirely different issue than the one presented, at least as I read it.

Where I work, girls and boys do not have different assignors. And I've heard countless official complain about girls assignments vs boys or refer to them as "just" a girls game. FWIW, to work the postseason here in Colorado, you are required to work a certain number of both boys and girls games.

Obviously I'm not suggesting people be forced to work girls games if they are opposed. Just pointing out that in a lot of cases, the reasons for not wanting to work girls games is sexist and insulting. This isn't always the case, but it's a prevalent enough to discuss.
OK, but that is where you work. Yes, we have some assignors that assign both, but that is not common. And if they tried to give a boy's official a girl's game, they would get some blowback. They would from me. And one reason I do not take girls games is because I do not want to constantly be turning back games. Or asking can I work another game, so why would I want to make myself available for that headache?

They even tried in our area to play back-to-back games with girls and boys and found out how much no one came to watch the girls games. They would literally play the girls games last and everyone would come for the boys game and leave when it was over. It was actually demoralizing, so they stopped doing that after a year or two. So if you cannot get fans to come and watch the games equally, how are you going to get officials who are largely male to do the same? And when you have female officials they move on to the college ranks because that level scoops them up.

Not trying to debate the overall gender preferences, just saying that if you "make" someone do something then they will find reasons not to do that. You cannot tell me when I am available for something or why I do something else. We are not paid enough to have that kind of information to some guy that is not paying a pension or health insurance.

Peace