Thread: Girls games
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2022, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Simple, because they do not want to. And that is their right. I do not work any girls games either and one reason is I have enough days of the week I am out of the house. I do not want to add more games or debate of which game I will take. Also not the same assignors as well, so I have fewer people I have to deal with.

Also, girls basketball is not boys basketball. What I mean is there are things that happen in girls basketball that do not happen in boys basketball from a contact standpoint and a reaction standpoint. The culture is just different and I have enough time trying to figure out the levels I work, then to add some stuff that I never have to see or deal with in boys basketball. Also, I do college ball, girls basketball would just cause me some bad habits and some standards that I would have to constantly adjust to. Boy's basketball as the HS level is very similar to Men's basketball in college. I do not have to do many adjustments.

Finally, we are independent contractors. I have the right to decide what I want to do when I leave my house. We do not do this for charity or for some altruistic reason. We get paid to do a service and if I am going to get paid I am going to do what I want to do. Same with middle school or adult league games. I have only so many days to do things with a family and with a job.

We need to stop acting like this is an obligation. Just like there is an obligation to work all levels of basketball. Either we accept some things or people will stop officiating and that will take down the pool even more.

Peace