Thread: Screwy wording
View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Didactic (book learning) Enforcement

I agree there is some circular type confusion here. I personally feel rule books, in general, are filled with such confusing direction. Trying to stuff SP and FP into the same statement also confuses the issues. Common sense must prevail.

The section is Batter-Runner is Out

Article 4 (FED) Times when the BR is out (basically when the defense has created live ball situations that allows the BR to advance to first and then the BR abandons his/her opportunity).

I read the Exception to be dead ball situations that allow the BR to stop at the dugout to get rid of her bat, drop off her batting gloves, change batting helmets, stretch a hit body part... etc.

This is not time for the PU to call the BR out. Allow common sense to prevail.

I like SC Umps order of the elements (rule, penalty, exception) but it doesn't quite mess with the established organizational structure of the other articles - "EFFECT: Art 1 through 3 - the ball is in play." PENALTY (following article 4) "The ball is dead..." The next listed "PENALTY: ART 5 through 8..."

The "unless forced" part of the exception is simply because the ball is dead - no one advances unless they are forced. No possible way could a runner (stealing) advance to the next base in the time between the ball leaving the pitcher's hand and it hitting the batter. The ball is dead when the batter is hit and runners only advance if they are forced by the BR being placed on first (after doing their dead ball activities).

SC, I think your partner hosed it big time for calling a hit batsman out for not touching first before the courtesy runner entered (although I can understand hoow it might happen). And I'm sure between being hit, then being called out, and then sending the runner back to first, the offensive coach was furious. The DEFENSE is supposed to be punished for hitting the batsman... not the offense.

This rule does appear to be confusing but please let common sense prevail.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Sep 30th, 2003 at 10:07 AM]