Thread: no pitch
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 14, 2022, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
March 2008

The question has been asked what to do when an illegal pitch is called in fast pitch and also a runner leaves before the release of the pitch. If an Illegal pitch is called and then a runner leaves before the pitch is released then the base umpire should also call dead ball. Since dead ball is called and no pitch happens the umpire should enforce the Illegal pitch, a ball on the batter and the runner leaving the base too soon will be called out. If there is more than one runner on base then the runner leaving the base too soon is out and all other runners are advanced one base because of the illegal pitch.

I'd say the "no pitch" would apply in the situation when a runner leaves early without other violations. In this sitch, both teams violated a rule. Unlike football (I guess) which has offsetting penalties and a replay of the down, softball immediately penalizes both offense and defense for their violatoins.
They referenced that ruling in the article, but I couldn't find it online, so thank you. Where did you access it?

Even though it is a published ruling, I do think it is illogical (bolded part).
Of course, the red part is no longer the rule.