View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 13, 2022, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kill The Play ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Official should blow their whistle immediately and declare the play dead before the throw-in ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The minute I hear the horn, I am probably killing the play and there is no "violation."
Agree.

I'm just not sure that my reaction time would allow for that. Best I could do would be to tell the coaches that I "killed" the play with the horn, but couldn't sound my whistle until the ball went out of bounds. Ball back to Team A, clock back to two seconds.

Of course, it all depends on how far the inbounds pass traveled until it went out of bounds. The longer the distance, the more likely I'm to "kill" the play with a whistle before the (OOB) throwin violation occurs.

Short inbound pass from the endline to the same side corner sideline, I'm probably not getting my "kill" whistle sounded before the violation, but the "kill" doesn't always require a whistle, it can also come with my decision to "kill".

Also, with two seconds left in tied game (or at the end of any period), I'm probably not waiting to see if the players can play through an erroneous horn. I'm "killing" it as soon as I can after the erroneous horn.

"Yeah coach. My whistle was late, but I had already deemed that the ball was dead".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 14, 2022 at 10:27am.