View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 13, 2022, 11:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Before The Throwin Ends ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Official should blow their whistle immediately and declare the play dead before the throw-in ends.
Agree.

In this case, that would be before the throwin team commits a throw-in violation.

Could be be a matter of split seconds for an official to decide that this play is going sideways.

"Horn? Ball on way out of bounds untouched? Stop!"

Sometimes the horn sounds erroneously and I will wait to see if the players can play through it. Sometimes they can. The throwin pass going, untouched, out of bounds complicates this situation.

Even if the throwin had ended with the violation, with no previous whistle by me, I'm pretty sure that I could persuade the coaches that the thing to do would be to give the ball back to Team A for a throwin at the original spot with two seconds put back on the clock, even if not 100% rulebook "kosher", not that I would tell a coach that. I'm pretty sure that my assigner would back me up, not so sure that my interpreter would do the same.

In a tied game (I added that part), with two seconds left, this is a delicate, complex situation that must be handled by the crew with confidence. Any hesitation will be blood in the water for one of the coaches.

Make a confident decision, one way (Team A), or the other (Team B), and own the blow-back.

By rule, I believe that Team B should get the ball. Not sure that I would rule that way in a real game. Get together with my partner, "read the room", and come up with a confident, fair decision.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 14, 2022 at 10:26am.