View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 17, 2022, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I have been doing some "housekeeping" in my officiating/umpiring files this month and I came across SITUATION 19 in the 2019-20 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations, and since NFHS Baseball and Softball Rules regarding Substitutes are somewhat different I thought I would post SITUATION 19, but not the RULING in hopes of moving the Forum out of it Summer doldrums.

SITUATION 19: Unnoticed by either team and the home plate umpire, the visiting team turns in a lineup card with eight players listed as starters and three substitute players. The visiting team had nine players on defense in the bottom of the first inning. In the top of the second inning, the home team realizes that its opponent has only eight players listed in the starting lineup. Bringing this to the attention of the home plate umpire, the home team suggests that for the remainder of the game an out should be called every time the missing spot comes to bat. The visiting team, now aware of its omission, adds to the lineup a player as the ninth defensive player. He was not one of the three substitutes listed on the lineup.

Since this is a NFHS Baseball Rules Situation, I want us to confine our RULING to NFHS Softball Rules.

Later, I will submit this SITUATION for RULINGS from NCAA and USA Softball.

MTD, Sr.
The plate umpire should bring this up at the plate meeting. "Coach, your starting lineup only has eight players". Hopefully, a spof correction can be made there before the lineups are exchange.