View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 21, 2022, 06:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes, half of a double foul can be intentional. The ruling on that is no FTs at all. The definition of double fouls doesn't preclude one of them being of a different severity than the other ... just two "personal" fouls against each other. Then, the penalties go on to say that there are not FTs for double personal fouls. The rule only explicitly talks about flagrant fouls in this context but that is as a note to explain the rule and there is no reason to think it doesn't apply to intentionals ... Rule 10 Penalty Summary: NOTE: If one or both fouls of a double foul are flagrant, no free throws are awarded. Any player who commits a flagrant foul is disqualified.
Agree. Nice citation Camron Rust. Incomplete, but still covered by purpose and intent.

I guess it depends on the "mood" of the official and how many split seconds pass between the first two fouls. Also, the timing of the whistle (stopping action) may be a big factor.

I see real game possibilities in both options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A) Call the first two fouls a double live ball foul (no free throws, even though one is intentional) ... Just two free throws for the technical foul (third foul).

B) Three separate fouls. Personal foul (possible bonus free throws). Intentional dead ball technical foul (anybody shoots free throws). Another intentional dead ball technical foul (anybody shoots free throws).
Nice thread. Camron Rust, bob jenkins, and Mannix, thanks for playing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 22, 2022 at 10:42am.