View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Contrarian ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I thought we broke you of the habit of speaking for others.
Sometimes I'm forced to do that (assume) when confronted with a cryptic, or incomplete post, leaving questions unanswered.

Quote:
I've done plenty of games in ... HS where the referee did not administer throw-ins at the beginning of periods.
Why not? Any other usually referee duties they did not do?

Quote:
I've done plenty of games in ... HS where the referee did not administer throw-ins at the beginning of periods.
I have too, contrary to the rule.

In almost all cases they were AAU, recreation, travel, middle school games, etc., not assigned by my high school commissioner, with very "relaxed" formalities. No pregame conference. No scorebook checking. No pregame coaches meeting.

In other cases (assigned by my high school commissioner), though I was assigned as the referee, I decided unilaterally (allowed by local custom and tradition) to allow inexperienced young officials (often rookies) to get some experience as a referee (lead a pregame conference, check scorebook, running pregame coaches/captains meeting, toss, and/or alternating possession starting period throwin administration.

Doing any of these tasks could possibly identify the referee, even if not assigned as such. Doing all of these pretty much identifies a referee, even if not assigned as such. "You be the referee tonight", not sure how official that is, may vary locally?

Also, until we (locally) started using Arbiter, and were assigned with paper and pencil through snail mail, umpires and referees were not assigned for any subvarsity games, it was decided when meeting at the site, usually based by seniority, or by who did what when partners last worked together, a somewhat fluid procedure.

But by rule, it's the referee who administers alternating possession throwins to "normally" begin periods, as well as initiate a pregame conference (by mechanics manual), check scorebook (implied by rule, also by mechanics manual), choosing tosser (rule), running pregame coaches meeting (rule), and a few other things (rules).

Don't follow all such rules and mechanics? No problem. When in Rome ...

Also, one probably needs to define referee on a local level. Is it one who is assigned to be the referee, or is it one who performs some, many, or all, the game duties usually associated with a referee? Some Forum members may have different definitions.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 01, 2022 at 09:56am.