View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 27, 2022, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 3-2-2 clarification

I do not have any idea how we would ever know that a "team member" was listed incorrectly in the book unless they did report to the table to enter the game but as I read the rule it says that the names and numbers of each team member (defined in 4-34-4 as anyone on the bench in a uniform who is eligible to become a player) must be supplied to the scorer and it sounds as if you could give a T just for having the number listed incorrectly because the roster submitted did not have the team members and their numbers correct. Not saying that's what I think we should do but the rule specifically says "a team is charged with a technical if the scorer is required to change the number in the book or if the team member is required to change his jersey to match the number in the book".

The magic word here would be REQUIRED. If we are interpreting that to mean it is only required to be changed if the team member enters the game (which seems to be supported by the case plays quoted by Bob) then as long as he does not enter the game the T can be avoided.

Using this interpretation player #12 reports to the table and IF the scorer recognizes that he is listed as #10 in the book before he is beckoned then he may return to the bench without penalty. Unless the coach requests the number be changed or has the player change jerseys so that he can enter the game then there is no violation of rule 3-2-1 or 3-2-2.

The only hesitation I have is that this seems to be treating the wrong number the same as an illegal number. An illegal number is penalized if a player participates but "player" and "participates" are not the same as "team member" and "discovered". These seem like separate but equal situations that are administered the same way but the difference in wording between adjudicating a wrong number and an illegal number is a little confusing.

Also, I noticed that rule 3-2-1 does not say that the roster has to be correct (ie. names matching numbers) only that the roster has to be submitted which suggests that there would be no penalty unless the score book has to be changed - no play, no change, no problem. And, if the entire roster had the wrong numbers it would only be 1 tech and any other numbers could be corrected without penalty.

Last edited by Rich1; Sun Mar 27, 2022 at 12:09pm.