View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 24, 2022, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewcall View Post
happened during a women's NCAA basketball playoff, but my question is more of a high school rules question.
A1 is about to throw the ball in from the sidelines. The official has not handed the ball to A1 (dead ball). player A2 makes a cut to the ball when she is blocked by B2. The official administering the throw- in, raises his fist for a foul. A2 continues and stumbles and lands a forearm into player B3 jaw (not intentional but a solid hit). The crew huddles and calls a technical (1) on B2 and ignores the second foul. B2 shoots 2 free throws and gets the ball at half court. I understand a dead ball technical, but I don't think the second foul (technical) should have been ignored. If it was called would it be simultaneous technical or each administered separately.
thanks
Stew in VA
I think you are NOT asking whether either (or both) should be called, but what to do if they are both called (in a similar play)

IF the second contact rose to the level of a Intentional Foul (NCAAW) or a T (FED) then:

NCAAW: The fouls would offset and we'd resume POI

FED: It's a little hard to judge from the words, but I would tend to NOT view this as simultaneous, but rather retaliatory (not a rule book term), so I'd penalize both. Shoot the FTs in the order the fouls occurred and give the ball to the last offended team at the division line for a throw-in