View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 13, 2022, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post

Some posters seem to believe that interference and an immediate dead ball should be ruled any time the on-deck batter is hit by a thrown ball. For those posters, please consider the following play which happened during an error-filled junior high game with light rain.

Runner at third base only with one out. Ground ball to F5. Runner begins to advance to home plate as F5 fields the ground ball. F5 makes a sidearm throw, but the slick ball slips from her hand and is thrown on a line from F5 to the on-deck circle where the on-deck batter is struck in the helmet. The on-deck circle is half way between home plate and third base and twenty feet from the third base line. At the time the ball hit the on-deck batter, the runner was well over half way home.

Would you rule interference in the above situation also?
"Those posters" (Duke & Crabby) are so far silent on your recent scenario. I cannot speak for them.

I personally would not call INT in that situation. The rule states that the on deck batter may not interfere (USA Softball) & the on deck batter shall not commit interference (NFHS). The penalties and their severity are a little different, also. Hard to "reward" the defense for such poor execution.

Unless USA and/or NFHS provides a clear interpretation on this subject, my judgment will not render an INT call in either the OP or this latest scenario. It could invite open season on the on deck batter(s).