View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 29, 2003, 08:14am
Huck Finn

As far as the original topic of this thread goes, I don't think they did anything wrong. Sometimes it is hard to grant a timeout in this situation. The trail has a minimum of 4 players to watch, the shooter and 3 people behind the line. I say at least 3 people depending on pre-game and how many players are in lane spaces. With 6 players along the lane if the done by the book doesn't the lead have 3 players to watch compared to the trail's seven? Three of these seven could be all the way at the other end of the court doing all kinds of things to each other. The trail also chops the clock for a missed free throw. The trail should also make sure the clock starts if the free throw does not go in because the trail could have action directly in front of him. During a press the trail also has to find a happy medium of help and watching players in what is to become the new front court. Taking all of this into account and mentally putting myself in this position, the coach better REQUEST the timeout because there is max of about 6 seconds (two to get the ball and four to throw it in) until it is too late for him. Six seconds is a short time when doing all of the above.
Why would you have to turn your back to grant the timeout when the trail should be facing the table? If the answer is you are talking about the lead then I don't buy that because the lead will definatly have their hands full.
Why can't you tell the coaches voice from someone else's voice after 31+ minutes. This is a small detail but something that can get you over the hump.
Is you positioning such that you can't see something out of the corner of your eye? The same sideline the coach is behind is your responsibility! I think the right position would allow you to see the coach motioning for something.
I still think the onus is on the coach for this timeout. We, as officials can only be mechanically sound for the court action and attempt to catch the request.

I've officiating a two-person game and stayed table side for shooting fouls. In all situations I can think of it should be said that the calling official will go table side ONLY on shooting fouls. All other situations would be a switch and since there are only two people you go where your partner was and your partner goes to the designated spot to take the ball out.