View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2021, 04:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

If It's Not Legal It's Illegal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The traveling rules state that foot movement not described as legal is illegal. The rules then say that a player jumps while holding the ball only has 2 legal options ... shoot or pass .. .before returning to the floor. The fact that they jumped while holding the ball has committed said player to one of those two action ... their options are set when they jump. Landing and picking up the ball is not one of the available options.
Thanks Camron Rust. You've convinced me, and you did it in the simple terms that I asked for.

It's back on the list, in a clarified version.

When an airborne shooter fumbles the ball (while still in the air) instead of releasing the ball on a try, unintentionally drops the ball, and then returns to the floor and secures possession of the ball, it’s a traveling violation because the airborne shooter didn't shoot or pass before landing and picking up the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So the old adage that one can always legally pick up a fumble is "just" an old adage and not fully rule based and isn't always true.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 14, 2021 at 05:13pm.