View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 08, 2021, 05:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can't Fight City Hall ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
The interp you cite is saying the "coach beckoned out on the floor" rule trumps the "five players" rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2002-03 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
Situation 5: Team A is playing with five players, but has no remaining substitutes available when one of the players has an asthma attack. The coach is beckoned onto the floor. Ruling: The player must leave the game unless a time-out is requested and granted to Team A with the player being ready to resume by the end of the time-out. The team may continue with fewer than five players if there are no substitutes available. An injured/ill player may return to the game after recovery. (3-3-5)
I can't argue with Altor, nor can I argue with such a specific and clear (player must leave unless time-out is requested and granted ... team may continue with fewer than five if there are no substitutes available) NFHS interpretation.

It's just that there are a few interpretations (see above) that stress the importance of playing with five when five are "available", and a few that point out an occasional exception of having to "sit a tick".

This "asthma" interpretation has me stymied.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 08, 2021 at 05:48pm.