View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 05, 2021, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

A gets possession based on the free throws. Therefore, the throw-in following the possession is technically not an AP throw-in. This means that whatever happens after A gains possession (via the free throws) is irrelevant. The arrow only comes into play the next time there is a situation involving unclear possession (whether at the start of the next period or sooner, due to a held ball). AP throw-ins are triggered by a disputed possession situation (start of period, held ball, ball stuck in the ring, double foul with no possession, etc.), so if another throw-in is required after the AP throw-in starts (e.g. B kicks the ball on an AP throw-in) or before the AP throw-in (e.g. a player gets a technical foul after possession is awarded, but before the throw-in is administered.), then the subsequent throw-in is not an AP throw-in. I actually had a situation in a JV game where I awarded an AP throw-in, but never administered it, because a player on the team that would have gotten the ball clapped in an opponent's face. I assessed a technical foul to the clapping player, an opponent shot two free throws, and the opponents got the ball. Because the AP throw-in was not administered, the arrow did not change, and the team who "won" the AP throw-in got to throw the ball in at the start of the next quarter.