View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 21, 2021, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Use The Word "Concussion" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Connecticut officials are very fortunate in that we never have to deal with concussions. Several years ago the State legislature considered giving officials the responsibility of dealing with concussions.

Luckily, we have an officials arm ... of our state interscholastic sport governing body (CIAC) that attended public hearings and lobbied for us. As a result, the State legislature decided that only health care professionals and coaches will determine whether, or not, players have been concussed, and how to deal with such.

Coaches at all levels of interscholastic sports (even middle school) must be trained (and periodically retrained) in concussion protocols. As officials we are told to only observe and advise, and we are actually told to never to use the word "concussion" in describing an injury to a coach, instead it's more like, "Coach. Check out number twenty-two. He may be injured". After that it's 100% up to the health care professional (trainer) and/or coach to decide how to move forward, officials have nothing to do with anything concussion related.
After reviewing this thread, and questioning the apparent conflict between NFHS and Connecticut concussion protocols, I asked our local Connecticut IAABO interpreter to review Connecticut concussion protocols.

All local Connecticut IAABO interpreters, and the Connecticut IAABO State interpreter, agree that this (above) is still the concussion protocol here in Connecticut.

Connecticut is a 100% IAABO state for all scholastic (high school and middle school) games.

This NFHS casebook play was cited.

2.8.5 SITUATION: A1 and B1 hit heads in diving for a loose ball and both appear injured. However, A1 is immediately removed from the game by the officials as he/she is exhibiting signs consistent with a concussion. Later in the game, A1 reports to the scorer’s table to reenter the contest. RULING: The rules permit A1 to return to the game once he/she has been cleared by an appropriate health-care professional. The responsibility for obtaining that clearance rests with the coach/school, and need not be verified by the officials (unless state procedures require verification). If A1 appears at the scorer’s table to reenter the game, the officials shall assume the coach/school followed the appropriate return-to-play procedures and A1 is eligible to participate.

"Unless state procedures require verification". What's true for Connecticut may not be true for other states, or localities, so check your local listings.

Regarding legal civil liability, I feel more confident now that I have the backing of my local board, state board, and the NFHS (as well as our State legislature) when I say, "Coach. Check out number twenty-two. She may be injured", and leave the followup to the head coach, especially if there is no trainer as is always the case in my middle school games.

Of course, as usual, and always, when in Rome ...

And remember, this is America, anybody can sue anybody for anything at any time, and if one is summoned to criminal, or civil, court, one needs to hire an attorney and attorney billable hours aren't inexpensive (even if one wins in court).

"Safety is number one priority" (Crazy Russian Hacker)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 21, 2021 at 06:22pm.