View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 05, 2021, 12:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Two-Person Coverage Is Flawed ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... Two-person coverage is flawed, so if you have it you are going to have to do things you would not need to do with a 3rd official out there. But not sure how the Trail can clearly know that the ball was knocked out on the offensive player ... if there is a play near the line and someone is stepping on the line, the Trail has no chance. The Lead has to make those kinds of calls.
Agree, as does the NFHS.

The only problem is when the Lead is paying close attention to some real basketball action in his primary coverage area in the lane, maybe two post players trying to dominate each other as they fight for position, and/or screens being set at the elbows, or at the blocks. The Lead can't be ball watching looking for a ball handler to step on the sideline out near the division line.

While good officials should be always be aware of where all the players are, and where their partner is, we all know the problems that can occur with ball watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While I've always disliked this "new" IAABO line responsibility mechanic, I do find myself doing less sideline above the free throw line extended ball watching as the Lead.
We IAABO guys made the old NFHS line responsibility (Lead has entire sideline) coverage work, as best as we could with two officials, back before IAABO switched (to avoid ball watching by the Lead) to a combined sideline primary coverage area and line responsibility (above/below the FT line extended). Knowing that the NFHS two person coverage (that we previously used) was flawed, IAABO just wanted to try something different, something that is also flawed. IAABO just traded one problem for a different problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Two-person coverage is flawed ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 05, 2021 at 05:25pm.