Thread: Three Man Crews
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming you're talking varsity games. We still use 3 man crews in Texas but only for jr. high games (or HS subvarsity games if we're short -- which is rare).

As far as varsity games go, its been a LONG time. My dad started working football in the early '50s. He worked smaller schools and they used 3 man crews while the bigger ones would use 4, but almost everyone was using 4 man by the '70s in Texas at the latest. 5 man, even at smaller schools, was standard by the '80s. We've been using 7 man in the metro areas since the mid-2010s (small and large schools). Smaller CHAPTERS in Texas still have issues filling all their small school 11-player games with 5 guys, but for the most part, I think most games are covered. A few might be 4 man.

6-player football gets 4 officials, unless its a Saturday game and the chapter or coaches agree for 5. Or, its a playoff game. 5 officials working a 6 man game is the pinnacle of officiating! I've never been in a situation where you have essentially every aspect of the game covered yet no one gets in the other's way.

More info than you asked, but what the heck...