View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 08, 2021, 09:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Survey Says …

Disclaimer: For IAABO eyes only. Below is not a NFHS interpretation, it's only an IAABO International interpretation which obviously doesn't mean a hill of beans to most members of this Forum.

https://storage.googleapis.com/refqu...jiXKOLJAUD.mp4

IAABO Play Commentary Correct Answer: This is a Player Control Foul.

A player in the low post area ends a dribble before jumping to attempt a try. After completing his dribble, the shooter could have jumped vertically to attempt the try but instead decided to lean forward with his shoulder into the defender before making the attempt. The defender was within his vertical plane and in a legal guarding position when the contact occurred.

Why do you suppose the ball handler took this approach? Did he need this extra space to make the attempt? By rule, the offensive player, whether on the floor or airborne, may not "clear out" or cause contact within the defender's vertical plane, which is a foul. (4-45-5) This play does not come down to the severity of the contact. The only question we as officials need to ask ourselves is, "Did the shooter gain an advantage by creating this contact?" For 75% of respondents, the shooter gained an advantage by contacting the defender, and a player control foul should be charged on this play.

Here is the breakdown of the IAABO members that commented on the video: This is a Player Control Foul 75% (including me). This is incidental contact 25%.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)