View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 03, 2021, 01:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hard To Believe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you call a foul every time a player defender touches another player, you will be calling fouls all day.
My posts were only regarding handchecking fouls, not all fouls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I will admit that it took some time for adjustment, but eventually our local officials, coaches, players, and fans all got on the same "handchecking consistency" page.
I know that it's hard to believe, but here in my little corner of Connecticut we're not calling handchecking fouls all day when a defender simply touches a ballhandler.

We're not. Really.

We call the first one we see (as a reminder to all stakeholders), and take it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
One doesn't want the first "technical" handchecking call of the game coming with two minutes left in a three point game.
A decade later and I still find it hard to believe myself.

I never thought that this would be consistently enforced over time, and I was wrong.

Local interpreters, trainers, assigners, and observers all pushed a consistent approach to no tolerance for handchecking; Experienced veteran top-notch officials drank the Kool Aid and got onboard; journeymen officials and inexperienced officials followed their lead and example; and coaches, players, and fans adjusted.

It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen.

Coaches actually don't complain when "touch" handchecks are called.

They've gotten use to it and have adjusted, as have their players.

Coaches are actually more likely to complain when "touch" handchecks are not called.

You probably won't believe me, because I still find it hard to believe myself.

Local interpreters, trainers, assigners, and observers took the bull by the horns and voilà, here we are.

Of course, it helped to have the full backing of the NFHS.

Consistency is the key.

Again, when in Rome ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 03, 2021 at 02:54pm.