View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 12, 2021, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Avoid Correctable Errors ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This only seems to be an issue for you ...
And apparently for the NFHS since they have a casebook play that specifically deals with this situation.

Quote:
The rule says that it must be done at the correct basket ...
One rule does. One rule doesn't.

When the time frame of a correctable error has not passed, it is true that the free throws must be attempted at the correct basket, but when the time frame of a correctable error has passed that's not true, the free throws don't have to be attempted at the correct basket, and if points are scored, they count for the shooting team (4-5).

Quote:
Don't let it happen and then you have nothing to worry about. Shoot at the proper basket.
Agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Best way to handle correctable errors is to avoid them. Unfortunately, especially in middle school games with no team fouls on the scoreboard, sometimes the scorekeepers (sometimes students) are asleep at the switch. I wish that I got a dollar every time I asked a middle school scorekeeper, "Is it one and one?", or, "How many team fouls now?".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
This is why all four of my local interpreters over forty years have each told us, on many occasions, to get together with partners before technical foul free throws to make sure that, at minimum, we're shooting at the correct basket. I always think, "Never. No way". But they keep telling us that we often call technical fouls when we're pissed off and maybe a little emotional and that it's easy under those conditions get distracted and to accidentally and carelessly get "turned around". And then being forced to subsequently correct the error can really make us look foolish under the watchful eyes of players, coaches, and fans. "These guys can't even go in the right direction. What a bunch of fools".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 12, 2021 at 04:37pm.