Thread: Pitchers Plate
View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 29, 2021, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
You can slip on the painted base instead of being able to push off it. Same with a painted PP.

You can slide past the base and spike the fielder instead of being able to use it to stop.

AND you an slide past and be tagged out instead of being able to use the base to stop.
To clarify: regular bases are used and placed on top of the turf markings.
I agree about pitcher's not being able to push off. But I will submit that a lot of girls, especially up here in the Northeast, spend a lot of time throwing in gyms and/or indoor facilities that don't have typical PPs. In fact, I think this contributes to issues with leaping once these girls get on a dirt field.
Yesterday I worked a game with "regular" field conditions. With a bit of rain that had fallen, the bases were slippery. On a first & third situation, R2 stole second without a throw. When she got to the base, she put one foot on the base and halted her motion but her foot slipped off the base and she ended up on her keester.
I don't believe spikes are allowed on turf fields, even the plastic variety. I'll have to check that next time I'm at that field.
A runner can slide by a base on dirt, although there probably is much more "grab" to a dirt field than a turf field. I can be a matter of experience knowing when to slide and how far that would take you.
Bases that end up out of position may be more difficult to deal with on a dirt field than on a turf field. If a base becomes dislodged on a turf field, runners know where the base should be as it's marked.

I've not had a lot of experience on turf fields so just seeing how all this plays out this year.

In the couple of games I've done on this field so far, I'd not describe it as anything close to a "CF".