View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 27, 2021, 11:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Your Father's Oldsmobile ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They are referred to as HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities). I have several family members that attended them, my mom was one of them who attended FAMU.
Go Lady Rattlers. To show how New England white I am, other than viewing television commercials for the United Negro College Fund (“A mind is a terrible thing to waste”), I never knew much about historically Black colleges and universities until fictional television character Denise Huxtable left Brooklyn to attend Hillman College, a fictional historically Black college.

Quote:
IAABO never discusses NCAA Rules or CCA Mechanics.
Certainly true for the first ninety-five years of IAABO, not true for the past five years. 2021 IAABO is not your father's Oldsmobile.

Quote:
... not a high school game they certainly are not talking all throughout the video as such.
As I stated, almost all introductory statements that what we're viewing on video is actually a college game are offered live and in person by the presenter, anybody from a local interpreter, up to to international seminar presenter, such statements seldom show up in the video.

Quote:
The voice-over never addressed this at all.
Nor did the written IAABO play commentary of the recent Make The Call Video, however, as recently as January, 2021 IAABO did broach the POE subject in the IAABO play commentary of another Make The Call Video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
What changed in three months?
The NFHS Rules Committee meeting.

IAABO had a seat at the table of the recent three day NFHS Rules Committee meeting where the contact above the shoulders controversy was discussed. The NFHS will soon clarify the position of the NFHS regarding such contact. We don't know what that clarification will be, but maybe the change over the past three months from IAABO supporting the POE to IAABO ignoring the POE is a signal that this POE will be invalidated, or simply treated as just a "guideline" rather than as an automatic hard-fast rule. This IAABO change in philosophy over the past three months signals to me that the NFHS will probably not continue with the POE in it's current form.

Quote:
... you love to tell me has to be followed ...
Due to it's controversial nature, I haven't held anyone to that standard for several years, but I will discuss reasons why it may no longer be valid, as well as reasons why it may still be valid. For me personally, I use it as a guideline, and while it causes me to pause to think (purpose and intent of POE) about a possible upgrade, it's not an automatic "must do" rule for me. My philosophy is that just because we can upgrade to intentional fouls or flagrant fouls doesn't necessarily mean that we have to (as the POE mandates). If, for whatever reason, one decides to upgrade, the POE will provide some written backing above and beyond existing definitions of intentional fouls and flagrant fouls, if necessary.

Quote:
... the players look nothing like college players to me in either size or look ... the calling official ... looks like a high school official ... But that is just my take.
No problem with that opinion, it's still a good video if the visual part of the video is a high school game, or a college game, as long as the play commentary audio part of the video is high school based (assuming the audience is interested in such).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 28, 2021 at 10:02am.