View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 29, 2021, 03:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lesson Learned ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Do the math.
About forty years ago, as a young inexperienced official, during a junior varsity game, after a successful final free throw, as the new Trail, I carelessly and unknowingly kept visibly counting, with no break, from the throwin count to the ten second count.

Ball at disposal, one, two, three, four, throwin pass, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, ball still in backcourt, violation.

Coach complained so much, "Only six seconds ticked down", as he pointed to the scoreboard, standing (full game seat belt rule back then) and yelling, I charged him with a technical foul.

On the way home in the car, I discussed it my partner (math doesn't lie) and we figured out my mistake.

Next time I saw the coach I offered him my apology, which was accepted.

That's why the mechanics manual has us switch arms when one count changes to another (throwin to ten seconds, closely guarded holding to closely guarded dribbling, vice versa).

I always do that, and may have done it that night, but I still didn't start my ten second count from one.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 30, 2021 at 10:30am.