View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 23, 2021, 09:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

Wink-Wink-Nod-Nod ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
As I recall, there was a period (late 80s? )where intentional fouls were more broadly enforced and that pitty-pat from behind would be called intentional.
Not sure if it's related ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back when I was coaching middle school basketball in the late 1970's, if a coach was yelling, "Foul him", in late game, need to come from behind, clock running down, stop the clock situations, an intentional foul was pretty much automatic.

I was advised by a highly respected basketball official teacher-colleague to come up with a "code word" for such situations. My "code word" was, "Steal the ball", when my players heard that they knew to foul to stop the clock, and I taught them to just "reach in" and make arm contact rather than grabbing a jersey, pushing from behind, or bear hugging an opponent.

Of course that was ancient history and now the NFHS recognizes late game tactical fouls as a legitimate part of the game, and changed the rule to allow coaches to "coach".
Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
... that resulted in more physical fouls "going for the ball," and the game adjusted back to wink-wink-nod-nod on those late game fouls.
Quote:
Sometimes the defensive player is too "shy" to "reach in" and make real contact (and sometimes they're too aggressive).

When a team, ahead late in the game, wants to just play "keep away" and doesn't want to shoot free throws, this can make difficult decisions for officials on "touch" contact that we would normally ignore as incidental earlier in the game.

To call a "touch" foul in this situation (that we would not have called earlier in the game) would give an advantage not intended by rule to the team behind.
Like a legal single "hot stove" touch.

Quote:
When the team ahead is willing to just take the free throws, we can call the "touch" foul immediately when contact occurs so the ball handler doesn't get hit harder to draw a whistle (creating end of game game management problems).

Officials also have to give the defense a chance to steal the ball before a quick whistle on contact.
Reminder. 10-7-2: A player must not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is only with the opponent’s hand while it is on the ball and is incidental to an attempt to play the ball.

Quote:
In situations like this, if I'm near the losing team coming out of their huddle after timeout, I'll remind then to, "Go for the ball".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 11:48am.