View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 22, 2021, 10:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Text Book Intentional Fouls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
When the defender is playing patty cake on the ball handlers back and rob cage, while making absolutely no attempt to make a play on the ball, to me that is text book intentional foul.
While not necessarily "automatic", the following are what we should, at least, consider "text book" intentional fouls (not limited to): off-the-ball not-basketball plays, "bear hugs", deliberate pushes from behind, grabbing a fist full of jersey, and excessive contact.

When any of these occur in strategic, often late game (or anytime) situations, and appear to be deliberate in nature, I will at least give some careful thought to the possibility of an intentional foul.

While many high school players are well coached and understand how to "play the game within the game", there are a few knuckleheads out there that will never win an Academy Award.

Worst offenders are the linebackers and linemen who want to have fun with their friends, stay in shape, and play basketball in the football off-season winter months (in some of our very small rural Connecticut high schools, schools with John Deere tractors in the parking lots, anybody with a pulse who can walk and chew gum at the same time makes the basketball team). If one's only tool is a football then every problem looks like a tackle (apologies to Mark Twain).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 10:13am.