View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 18, 2021, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Player Must Not Remove The Jersey ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is stated at the NF level and I wish they would be more specific or state that it only applies to removing the jersey.
The NFHS high school rule, especially with the 2005-06 comment on the rule revision, makes the NFHS intent very clear.

10-4-6-H: A player must not: Removing the jersey and/or pants/skirt within the visual confines of the playing area.

Comments On The 2005-06 Rules Revisions: Jerseys/Pants/Skirts Prohibited From Being Removed (3-4-15, 10-3-7h, 10-4-1h): A team member is prohibited from removing his/her jersey and/or pants/skirt within the confines of the playing area. The penalty is a technical foul ... This addition also addresses a growing behavioral concern of players removing their jerseys to demonstrate frustration or anger and as a means of attracting individual attention. The rule is intended to be applied in all situations - even when a player must change uniforms due to blood or other unusual circumstances. It is not unreasonable to expect team members to go to their locker rooms to change their jerseys.

I know that I'm wrong, but I'm not a big fan of penalizing every time a jersey is temporarily removed for a not-unsporting reason (to comply with a rule), and will occasionally ignore such behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
High school player fouls out and takes off his jersey and throws it in frustration directed at an official. Technical foul. Player is advised in layup line that he can't play with an an illegal undershirt and he quietly and politely goes over to his bench to remove it to comply with a rule and in doing so temporarily removes his jersey. My opinion, not the same as above (even if the NFHS says otherwise).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm 100% wrong, but if I advise a player that he can't play with an illegal undershirt, I'm ignoring what happens next. Yeah. I know that we can easily advise that the player go to the locker room, but I'm still ignoring what happens next.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 18, 2021 at 02:43pm.