View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 23, 2021, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
If NFHS or NCAA ever allows numbers greater than 5 on uniforms, then choosing one of these approaches as a standard method would help officials in correctly signalling fouls on players wearing those numbers. It might require additions to the signal chart and mechanics manual, but it would be worthwhile to reduce the amount of bellyaching over uniform issues that goes on in NFHS games.

NOTE: Numbers under 10 are signalled with the hand(s) facing forwards. 10 is signalled with two open hands, and numbers from 11 to 15 are signalled with a fist on the right hand, and 1 to 5 fingers showing on the left hand.
I do not think I have ever in a varsity game ever had an issue with an illegal number. And if I did it is so rare that this is such a non-issue that no one is having to deal with this on any meaningful level. High schools also do not retire numbers or decide not to use numbers very often. Otherwise not much of an issue. Again the NF likes to keep things simple and basic. And the NCAA has the same rules for likely the same reason. The pros have smaller staffs and fewer officials to train.

Peace