Thread: Free throw
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 22, 2021, 12:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Keep in mind that not all situations of 0:00:00 with no horn (or light) are timekeeper clock errors, or timekeeper human reaction time delays in stopping the clock.

In the case of old fashioned mechanical clocks (assumed working properly), the scoreboard clock can read 0:00 (or maybe 0:00:00) with no horn (or light that officially ends the period). It's not an error, or time lag, there are actually fractions of a second remaining in the period that (in many old fashioned consoles) nobody can see. Should one add time the clock? I say absolutely not.

In the case of the more modern digital clocks (assumed working properly), the scoreboard clock can read 0:00:00 with no horn (or light that officially ends the period). It's not an error, or time lag, there's actually hundredths of a second remaining in the period that can possibly (or not) be seen only in the table console. Should one add time the clock? I say absolutely not.

But even in situations of clock errors, or timekeeper human reaction time delays in stopping the clock, the official must have definite knowledge to adjust the time. Definite knowledge can be observing the clock (with the help of a partner, or the table crew), or using a visible, or invisible count (ten seconds, five seconds, three seconds), or using a mental count as many good officials will do in the final seconds of periods.

But short of those three examples of definite knowledge (with one very specific exception), an official can never guess.
I am not talking about old clocks. Most clocks have tenths of a second and I cannot think of the last time I did a game without that on the clock. And unless I or the crew does not recognize an error, we are not going to assume there is such an error. So again if we have to determine the horn did not sound before the whistle (this is not hard guys) then if you do not get a peek at the clock. But I also tend to not be totally unaware of the clock in most situations, because that is discussed in pre-game and someone has some idea of the clock situation. Even in a situation where I have the last-second shot, I have some idea of where that clock is. Not seeing anything you are saying that is so different than what I am saying. I just said I am not going to assume there was some mistake if clearly we called a foul and the whistle was blown before the clock ran out.

Peace