Thread: Free throw
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 22, 2021, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hundredths Of A Second Remaining In The Period ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... you know that you have to put something on the clock ...
Keep in mind that not all situations of 0:00:00 with no horn (or light) are timekeeper clock errors, or timekeeper human reaction time delays in stopping the clock.

In the case of old fashioned mechanical clocks (assumed working properly), the scoreboard clock can read 0:00 (or maybe 0:00:00) with no horn (or light that officially ends the period). It's not an error, or time lag, there are actually fractions of a second remaining in the period that (in many old fashioned consoles) nobody can see. Should one add time the clock? I say absolutely not.

In the case of the more modern digital clocks (assumed working properly), the scoreboard clock can read 0:00:00 with no horn (or light that officially ends the period). It's not an error, or time lag, there's actually hundredths of a second remaining in the period that can possibly (or not) be seen only in the table console. Should one add time the clock? I say absolutely not.

But even in situations of clock errors, or timekeeper human reaction time delays in stopping the clock, the official must have definite knowledge to adjust the time. Definite knowledge can be observing the clock (with the help of a partner, or the table crew), or using a visible, or invisible count (ten seconds, five seconds, three seconds), or using a mental count as many good officials will do in the final seconds of periods.

But short of those three examples of definite knowledge (with one very specific interpretation exception), an official can never guess.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 22, 2021 at 01:15pm.